A frequently asked question via my Film Photography Instagram Channel is how I scan and convert my analog negatives to digital files so I can share them via e.g. Instagram.
I am scanning my negatives with my digital camera. So I basically taking a picture with my digital camera of each film frame against a light source and then convert the negatives with a fantastic Adobe Lightroom plugin called Negative Lab Pro.
Also this Guide from Negative Lab Pro explains everything you need to know!
Required Equipment & Software
Equipment I am using:
- Nikon Z6
- Tamron 90 mm F/2.8 DI MACRO VC USD Lens with Nikon FTZ Adapter
- Kaiser Slimlite Plano
- Essential Film Holder or Lomography Digitaliza
Software I am using:
- Adobe Lightroom
- Negative Lab Pro
The Process - Overview
- Develop your Film!
- Set up your Camera, Tripod, Light Source, ...
- Load your Film Holder
- Make sure everything is aligned and in focus
- Take a picture of every film frame (Adobe Lightroom Tethered Shooting)
- Crop the frames and convert them via Negative Lab Pro
Please do yourself a favour and read the following "Film Scanning Best Practices" guide linked below! This guide from Negative Lab Pro explains everything you need to now! It will safe you a lot of time later on.
I am basically following exactly this guide!